Sunday 5 October 2014

University Updates

As readers of the poem I posted yesterday may or may not have guessed, I've been back at university for a fortnight. A lot can happen in a fortnight, and as luck would have it, a fair amount did happen. Fresher's Week aside, I've been settling back into the routine of seminars and lectures, which will be more intensive now I'm in my final year.

At my first seminar this week, I was told that I'll have to visit several public events where writers of all sorts will be speaking. I was given a list of possibilities, ranging from the Cheltenham Literature Festival to performance poetry nights in Bristol. The second seminar dealt with poetry, and it turns out I'm expected to produce a collection of the stuff. My last seminar was one for writing a novel. I'll have to write a large portion of this novel over the next year.

Life at university isn't getting any easier in third year. I discovered the other day that I already have an essay due in for the end of the month, along with a study of some event programs and at least a thousand words of a novel due for next week. For a village hermit like me, living in a different place is a very strange but rewarding experience, but all this added work has somewhat lessened my enjoyment of it.

So, how will the new workload affect this blog? Well seeing as I'm an amateur poet, I'll be reporting on my progress throughout the poetry section of the course in the coming months. Maybe I'll do some features on any writing events I go to and possibly include some excerpts from work in progress on my novel writing module. I also think this would be a good opportunity to introduce you to a few of my contemporaries who are undertaking similar challenges.

It's quite different to the quiet, almost sleep-inducing idleness of my village, but it will do. I'll see you all again very soon, possibly with another poem or too. Oh, and tigers will definitely be involved.

No comments:

Post a Comment