Friday 17 October 2014

Jelly Babies Have Ears

I would like to tell you
how to stack the confectionary shelves
for the sale tomorrow.
We can't speak here though.
I think they might be listening
even now.

         What are you talking about?
You mean the jelly babies again?
I've told you before, and I'll tell you
now, jelly babies are not animate.
They can't hear you.
What makes you so certain?

I've started hearing things you see,
in the night when no one's around,
I hear them whispering to each other.
I think they might know you know,
what happens to them in the end.
There's no denying they know.

          Now you're being ridiculous.
They can't hear you!
They can't even see you!
I think you've had one too many
jelly babies yourself.
Now pack this nonsense in!

I told you to watch out.
They've opened their bags
and dragged you to the broom cupboard.
Next they see me, and their sugar coated hands
seized me by the nose.
They're cleverer than they look.

(This is a poem I wrote a while ago, and is one of two parts.)

No comments:

Post a Comment