Saturday 4 October 2014

The Long Grey Road

Hello? Are you there?
Yes of course I'm here.
Where are you?
At home. What's the matter?
Well, I appear to be lost.
Could you direct me to the station?
Okay, sit comfortably, and I'll begin.

Isn't it a bit strange
that the road you wish to follow
is grey and not yellow.
For some reason I always imagined
crossing the road as a placid exercise.
How untrue.
Maybe a couple of turns to the left
will soften the journey a bit?
Untrue.
Passing the great sanctuary on the left,
the old doors have sheltered thousands.
Turning past the larder on the corner
used by everyone in twenty miles.
I wonder how it's never empty.
Still, I digress.

It should be just around here.
If not on the right or on the left,
then further away, beyond your reach.
Or maybe it will be close.
We can never know,
yet we strive to reach it.
Travelling this long grey road,
it seems you will never get there.
It will twist and turn countless times.
Yet somehow you know
you will reach it.
Or will you.

The Tiger Poet

No comments:

Post a Comment