Wednesday 29 March 2017

NaPoWriMo Approaches

So, it's that time of year again. National Poetry Writing Month, abbreviated to NaPoWriMo, is pretty much what its name suggests. It's similar to National Novel Writing Month, also known as NaNoWriMo, which takes place in November and challenges people to write a fresh draft of a novel in thirty days. In this case the challenge is thirty poems in thirty days.

I attempted NaPoWriMo in 2015, and reached the eighteenth day with a poem about a snail crossing a road before being defeated. The main point of the challenge is not to write exquisite verse on the level of Wordsworth or Plath, but just to write as much poetry as you can within the month of April. Most poets go for the write-a-poem-a-day option, which is what I did two years ago, and it's safe to say I wrote some really bizarre poems which don't really stand on their own very well. Aside from the aforementioned poem of the snail crossing the road, there were others about kaiju, witch's pools, a guide to make a cup of tea, and one about gray langur monkeys which was later turned into a video and posted on my YouTube page.

Will the quality be any better this year? I can certainly hope. In reality though, the chances I'll be able to edit and thoroughly check my work will be slim. Since the whole idea is to produce as much verse as possible, I'll be going through ideas faster than I can quality check them. It should make for some interesting reading either way.

Safe to say, I'm quite looking forward to it this year. NaPoWriMo starts on 1st April, so look out for the first of many poems to come. Also coming up I've got a few more poems before the start date, and another exciting development which I'll talk more about in the near future.

Hope you're all having a good week, and see you soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment