Saturday 31 March 2018

NaPoWriMo Returns

Ah, it's that time of year again I see. As many of you in the poetry community are probably aware, National Poetry Writing Month has come around once more. This has become something of a tradition on this blog. For those unfamiliar with NaPoWriMo, the premise is very simple; write a poem a day during the month of April, from the 1st to the 30th. These poems can be based off prompts provided by the NaPoWriMo website, or you can use your own prompts and improvise poems on a daily basis.

The first time I attempted NaPoWriMo, back in 2015, I made it to day eighteen before crashing out. Due to having a busy schedule I didn't attempt it in 2016, but last year I not only took part in NaPoWriMo but somehow managed to reach the end. I'm hoping to replicate that run this year. Finding inspiration for unique poems on a daily basis is the most challenging aspect of it for me, but I'm more hopeful this time given the successful run last year.

To all of you poets out there about to take on the challenge, I wish you the best of luck. It will be tough at times no doubt; by day fifteen there is some relief in passing the half-way stage, but there isn't a better challenge out there to help aspiring poets write poetry. It remains to be seen what poetic concoctions I will end up with this time, but if this sounds like your kind of thing, join me as I plunge headfirst and keyboard-first into NaPoWriMo 2018!

No comments:

Post a Comment