Monday 29 December 2014

Half a Glass

I can't remember the last time
it was as sunny as this.
Whenever a roasting summer beckons
the downpour beats it
to the front of the queue.

The lush green fields have a slight
black tinge to them.
Even the sheep and cows look drab.
A group of strangers pass and smile.
Everyone seems happy today.

< They say that food feeds the mind.
as well as the stomach.
I'd beg to differ.
Thousands of sausage rolls cannot
fuel the hyperactive engine
behind my eyes.
Still people smile in my direction.

Maybe the sunshine has
brightened everyone up a bit.
Maybe the scent of summer
has made them cheerful.
A glance at a window reveals to me
the cause for their incessant jubilance.

The right lens of my glasses
is no longer there.
now the world is half bright, half dark.
Oh well.

(In case anyone was wondering, this poem was inspired by an incident at university where I walked round campus not knowing that one of my shades' lenses had popped out.)

No comments:

Post a Comment